Seven Russians died after ingesting hand sanitizer, according to TMZ. They reportedly drank the liquid because they ran out of alcohol at a party in Tomtor, in the east of the country.
According to the website, nine people were in a fraternization, but at one point they ran out of alcohol.
The dead are aged 28 to 69, and two people are in intensive care units in a coma.
“Nine cases of disinfectant poisoning, including seven that were fatal. The poisoning was caused by ingesting the disinfectant,” reported Russian officials, according to The Sun.
The case prompted the Russian government to issue alerts that people do not drink disinfectants and the case will be investigated. The ingested product has 69% methane in the composition.
At the beginning of the coronavirus, the president of the United States, Donald Trump, went so far as to suggest that drinking bleach could protect against the disease, which was denied by US and global health agencies.