Prince Harry and Meghan Markle questioned over Netflix deal after release of ‘The Crown’

It looks like Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are facing new questions about their Netflix deal.

The Crown Season 4

This comes after reports suggesting that the royal family is “furious” over the latest storylines featured in season 4 of The Crown.

According to various reports, the latest season reportedly depicts Princess Diana’s eating disorder and Prince Charles’ affair. It is the series’ most controversial take on the royal family yet and deals with the events of the royal family’s life between 1979 and 1990.

“The decade included the break-up of Prince Charles and Princess Diana, the collapse of Prince Andrew’s marriage to Sarah Ferguson, the devastating fire at Windsor Castle, and the death of Diana, Princess of Wales — which plunged the royal family into crisis,” reports the BBC.

Diana is played by Emma Corrin while Gillian Anderson is Margaret Thatcher and Olivia Colman is the queen. Tobias Menzies is also back as Prince Philip and Helena Bonham Carter as Princess Margaret.

But since its release, friends of Prince Charles have slammed the series ahead of its airing, noting that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex recently signed a hefty contract with the streaming giant.

The pair quit as senior royals earlier this year and “shopped themselves around” for a big-money TV deal before settling on Netflix, the firm’s boss Reed Hastings revealed. One insider told the Mail on Sunday: “There are raised eyebrows about Harry taking millions from the company that’s behind all this.

“After all where do much of Netflix’s profits come from? The Crown.”

And another accused the streaming heavyweight of “trolling on a Hollywood budget”.

They said: “The Duke of Cambridge is none too pleased with it. He feels that both his parents are being exploited and being presented in a false, simplistic way to make money. In this case, it’s dragging up things that happened during very difficult times 25 or 30 years ago without a thought for anyone’s feelings. That isn’t right or fair, particularly when so many of the things being depicted don’t represent the truth.”

A new deal

It is reported that an aide for the couple told Vanity Fair the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are not taking part in any reality shows. Instead, the couple, who is not working members of the British royal family, will be involved in a number of projects, the first of which is an animated series about phenomenal women. The series, which is already in pre-production will be aimed at a young audience.

“There’s a lot of buzz about it, it is going ahead and work has started on the series,” an industry source told Vanity Fair. “The other project in works is an innovative wildlife documentary series which could see the couple return to Africa when travel restrictions are lifted.”

The shows the couple make will include scripted series, docuseries, documentaries, features and children’s programming focusing on stories and issues that resonate with them personally. A source close to the couple said, “Enabling a more compassionate and equitable world isn’t just something they do through their non-profit, it’s a belief they hold and model themselves which will carry through in this venture.“

The richness and complexity of the story

It is reported that The Crown will run until season 6. The series, watched by more than 73 million households worldwide, will end, in fact, in the early 2000s and, as creator Peter Morgan explained to the Hollywood Reporter, “series six will not bring us any closer to present-day — it will simply enable us to cover the same period (of season five) in greater detail.”

“As we started to discuss the storylines for series five, it soon became clear that in order to do justice to the richness and complexity of the story, we should go back to the original plan and do six seasons.”