Flash Back: Man being electrocuted (Photo credit: The Watchdog)
PLEEBO, (LINA) – A 39 year-old man identified as Emmanuel Vaye instantly died on Saturday, April 2, as a result of electrocution.
According to report, Vaye was hired by members of the Muslim Community in Pleebo to paint a local mosque in the citywhen the incident occurred.
While painting the top of the building, according to the report, he was pulled by the high tension wire when local contractors of the Liberia Electricity Corporation (LEC) switched on power as part of the ongoing Pleebo-Fish Town electrification project.
Family sources told the Liberia News Agency that the victim’s corpse was immediately taken to the Two Brothers Funeral Home for embalmment.
The late Vaye is a Gio, and father of four children.
Since the incident over the weekend, there have been growing concerns over the refusal of those whose buildings, including churches, mosques and business areas, were marked and subsequently paid for resettlement by the government and partners.
Many of them were given evacuation notices, but on the contrary, they have reconstructed the demolished portions of their buildings due to the inability of the past county administration headed by Superintendent Betsy Kuoh Toe to enforce the mandate.
It can be recalled that in 2015, tension brewed between the Maryland Youth Association and former Pleebo City Mayor Anthony R. Harman over his (Harmon’s) interest to divert the electric wire opposite the mosque which was earlier marked for demolition.
Many residential and business areas, including the duplex hosting Lonestar GSM Company and International Bank (IB), as well as the residence of former Senator John A. Ballout, were untouched due to reasons yet to be known.
Meanwhile, the Maryland Muslim Council is working in line with the victim’s family to ensure he is given a befitting burial.