ICYMI: Talks ‘still ongoing’ between Chiefs and West African striker

On the eve of the January transfer window coming to a close, Chiefs confirmed that they had “extended the contracts of seven of the club’s most promising players”.

WATCH: SAAVEDRA RECEIVES WARM WELCOME TO SOUTH AFRICA

However, there have been no major new recruits heading in the direction of Naturena. Rumours did suggest there were links with Chiefs and Royal AM’s Victor Letsoalo, but that move failed to materialise.

READ | CHIEFS VS PSL: WORST-CASE SCENARIO COULD SEE AMAKHOSI LOSE CRUCIAL POINTS

Chiefs’ interest in an unnamed West African striker has also been revealed by agent Mike Makaab.

Having previously told Gagasi FM that the Soweto giants were offered a chance to sign a striker from ‘West Africa’, Makaab has now provided an interesting answer to a question posed to him on social media.

Still ongoing… https://t.co/X2cuX7mP5R

— Mike Makaab (@MikeMakaab) February 9, 2022

Chiefs currently have a full foreign quota, which means they cannot register a non-South African player with the PSL at this time, but Daniel Akpeyi and Leonardo Castro are apparently working towards securing permanent residency permits (PRP) as they have resided in South Africa for more than five years.

READ | AMAZULU STILL PURSUING CHIEFS, SITHEBE COMPLAINT – REPORT

This could open the door for the Chiefs to consider another “international” signing down the line.

Recently, coach Stuart Baxter insisted Kaizer Chiefs would like to become more active in the transfer market, but said this past window didn’t allow for it.

THE CHIEFS COACH WAS SPEAKING AT THE NEDBANK CUP LAUNCH

Baxter said he understands the frustration of some supports at the lack of transfer activity, but provided a detailed explanation as to why this has been the case.

“I think it’s easy to have these perceptions [no ambition], given what’s going on so I can’t say I don’t understand what the supporters are feeling,” Baxter told journalists at the Nedbank Cup launch on Tuesday evening.

“I can’t say I don’t understand but I can assure them there’s a lot more [that] goes on in terms of targeting in people, getting knocked back, realising that in the open market there’s one club that holds all the trump cards.

“So if we’re interested in a player they’re interested in, pretty much, the chances are that he’s going there. So we have to be smart then in recruitment and I think we’ve tried to do that and probably what’s been available to us  – we worked out that at this moment in time it won’t build that gap between us and Sundowns.

“So in that respect, I don’t think it’s a lack of ambition but realism hitting home. Now I think we need to keep on working on that,” he continued.

“We need to do that for two reasons; one because that’s what an ambitious football club does and two, we have to keep sending signals to supporters that we’re not resting on our laurels or waiting for next year to come around, that we’re active in the market.”

Chiefs are next in league action against Cape Town City on 15 February.

READ | FORMER PIRATES, CHIEFS STRIKER MKHIZE: ALCOHOL ‘DESTROYED’ MY LIFE, CAREER

Spread the love