Hoërskool Jan Viljoen update: Nine steps to be implemented

When the MEC for Education, Panyaza Lesufi visited Hoërskool Jan Viljoen on Monday he thought he would get more clarity on an alleged racial fight amongst learners that took place last week. Little did he know it was only the tip of the iceberg.

POLICE HAD THEIR HANDS FULL WITH VIOLENT CLASHES

While Lesufi met with educators, learners and parents inside the school premises, police had their hands full outside as protesting parents and members of political parties clashed.

Police fired stun grenades to disperse the rowdy crowds.

Once the meeting was concluded, Lesufi addressed the community that was gathered outside of the school.

[WATCH] “It pains me a lot for you to still be reminded that you are black in your own country,” Gauteng education MEC Panyaza Lesufi tells pupils of #HoerskoolJanViljoen.

Tune into #Newzroom for the live coverage. pic.twitter.com/d1AqdVpdnX

— Newzroom Afrika (@Newzroom405) February 14, 2022

ALSO READ: WATCH: Stun grenades fired outside Hoërskool Jan Viljoen after racism allegations

WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT?

He said the following actions would be implemented:

Racism from any quarter is condemned and will be attacked.
The Principal has collated evidence and has requested anyone with information to come forward with the information. This evidence will be given to the South Africa Human Rights Commission, the Police and the SGB for further investigation.
The Police will continue with the investigation of the 4 cases and submit to the NPA for a decision.
The South African Human Rights Commission will be requested to investigate allegations of racism and other forms of discrimination.
The SGB must continue with Disciplinary Action against the perpetrators.
A staff member employed by the SGB accused of sexual harassment will be placed on precautionary suspension. Department of Social Development will take statements from any interested party.
The Department will implement a programme of Diversity Management to assist the school as it goes through the crucible of transformation.
In-contact classes will be suspended until Thursday, 15 February. Lessons will be provided remotely through online and other means.
A parents’ meeting will be convened on Thursday.

LESUFI URGED PUBLIC NOT TO INCITE VIOLENCE

“Racism and other forms of discrimination should be eliminated. The incident at the schools reflects deep-seated racist attitudes in our schools and community. We must grasp this opportunity to ensure that the school is fully transformed and is a safe and welcoming space for all people regardless of their race, class or religion. We appeal to everyone to give this process and opportunity and not incite violence,” said MEC Lesufi.

Spread the love
Generated by Feedzy