Grammy bosses ‘aren’t affected’ by The Weeknd’s boycott

Grammy bosses are not “affected” or “offended” by The Weeknd boycotting the awards.

The 31-year-old star – real name Abel Makkonen Tesfaye – decided to stop submitting his music for consideration after his album After Hours was not nominated for a single award at the 2021 ceremony.

ALSO READ: ‘Ke Star’: Focalistic bags two major awards at AFRIMMAs [watch]

THE GRAMMY’S AREN’T DISTRACTED BY THE WEEKND’S BOYCOTT

Grammy boss Harvey Mason Jr said:

“It’s not distracting, [from the work], it’s understandable. People that make music are passionate people inherently. These [projects] are their babies. When they get upset, it doesn’t affect us or offend us. Getting this right is the priority. The perception of the academy and our process is important because it allows us to do the work that we want to do.”

Recording Academy chief Harvey Mason Jr. responds to The Weeknd’s “the Grammys remain corrupt” tweet. #BillboardNews pic.twitter.com/hsyj9qc6aw

— billboard (@billboard) November 25, 2020

GRAMMY BOSS WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM THE ARTISTS FIRST

The Recording Academy CEO did then go on to say that it would be “nice” to hear decisions from the artists themselves, rather than read about it in the press.

Speaking to Billboard, he added:

“Sometimes it might be nice to not always hear it in the press; maybe it would be nice to get a phone call or a text. But regardless of how we get it, it’s important we evaluate it and find out actionable steps on how to be better.”

“At the end of the day, when our members and our community say, ‘We’d like to look at something differently and we think there is a new way of doing this, it’s better’, we listen and we move.”

Since 1995, the Grammy nomination process has included anonymous expert committees for the “Big Four” awards (album of the year, record of the year, song of the year and best new artist), who would choose the nominees out of a shortlist submitted by academy members. pic.twitter.com/XxUGcw1IHn

— CBC Music (@CBCMusic) May 3, 2021

THE WEEKND’S GRAMMY BOYCOTT

Mason’s response to The Weeknd came after the Save Your Tears hitmaker – who has previously won three Grammy awards – vowed never to submit his work to the board again.

He told the New York Times:

“Because of the secret committees, I will no longer allow my label to submit my music to the Grammys”

Despite the Recording Academy’s decision to dissolve their controversial nomination review committees, The Weeknd revealed to The New York Times that he will continue to boycott The Grammy Awards. This comes after he received no nominations this year. pic.twitter.com/1eWZIjLp5p

— Breakfast Television (@breakfasttv) May 4, 2021

ALSO READ: #MusicExchange: Rapid-fire Q&A with new kid on the block Cailyn Shelby

Spread the love