eThekwini Municipality has appealed to residents to reduce water consumption following a pump failure at one of Umgeni Water’s key installations last Thursday. “Staff are working around the clock to repair the failure to enable the full water supply to be resumed to all consumers as quickly as possible,” eThekwini Municipality said in a statement on Wednesday.
“While the repairs are being carried out, we are experiencing water shortages in the Central, Southern and Northern water systems. eThekwini has embarked on numerous programmes to sustain and ration the water supply in the water supply systems,” the municipality said.
“Areas that are receiving water intermittently are being supplied by water tankers. The municipality urges the public to use water sparingly. With everyone’s help we will be able to conserve the available water reserves during this difficult time and make them last as long as possible,” eThekwini Municipality said.
eThekwini Municipality’s top water saving tips
The city has appealed to consumers to adopt the following practices:
• Do not use hosepipes.
• Ensure that children do not to play with the hose and sprinklers and reward them for saving water.
• Do not water plants, fill swimming pools or wash cars during this time.
• Use a shower instead of a bath and limit the time the water is running to two minutes. While you wait for the shower water to warm up, collect the cold water and use it to flush the toilet.
• Turn off the water while brushing your teeth and shaving.
• Only flush the toilet when necessary.
• If you have rain water tanks, use this water wherever possible in the home.
• Designate one glass or bottle for your drinking water a day so you don’t have to keep washing them.
• Check your home and premises for water leaks and learn how to use your water meter to check for leaks.
• Keep a close eye on your water bill to help spot leaks (and wasted money).
• Only use your washing machine and dishwasher for full loads.
• Don’t let the tap run while you wash vegetables.
• If you wash dishes by hand, don’t leave the water running for rinsing.
• Soak pots and pans instead of running the tap while you scrape them.
“By implementing the above water saving tips, we can help ensure that there is enough water for all our residents. The municipality apologises for this inconvenience and assures everyone that teams are working speedily to repair the failure and to despatch water tankers,” eThekwini Municipality said.