Eight-month-old baby allegedly beaten to death, parents in custody

The story of the death of an eight-month-old baby boy has been utterly horrific. With comment from police, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), as well as, a Bonteheuwel ward councillor, the way in which the innocent child suffered and eventually died will remain in the minds of many. 

A mother and a father of an eight-month-old baby boy by the name of Levy Isaacs has been arrested. They have also appeared in court and will remain in custody until their next appearance following the brutal death of their son. 


Bonteheuwel Ward Councillor Angus Mckenzie told The South African that he has witnessed heinous crimes over the last four years but the death of Levy Isaacs would be extremely difficult to move on from. 

“In the last four years of being the ward councillor of Bonteheuwel, I’ve dealt with some very heinous and disgusting crimes but what I have experienced, is something that is going to take me a very very long time to deal with and to get over,” he said.  

McKenzie said he visited the home of an eight-month-old baby that was effectively murdered on Friday afternoon. He also took images of the home where the horrific incidents allegedly took place.

Image via: Angus McKenzie

“Reports are that the parents have both been arrested after the child was rushed to hospital on Friday afternoon. From speaking to people in the area, it is quite clear that is believed that this has been an ongoing case of child abuse. An eight-month-old child was abused so badly that the child is no longer with us anymore,” he added.  

McKenzie went on to say that Isaacs was not abused by a stranger, but rather by the person who gave birth to him, as well as, her husband. 

“I’m shocked to my core, I’m heartbroken, I’m devastated, I’m disgusted,” he said. 


NPA spokesperson in the Western Cape Eric Ntabazalila confirmed that the accused are the mother and father of the eight-month-old baby. 

“The victim had head injuries, internal injuries, multiple bruises and bite marks,” said Ntabazalila.

Police Captain in the Western Cape FC van Wyk also confirmed the tragic incident saying; 

“Be advised that members attached to Bishop Lavis FCS arrested two persons aged 32 (male) and 31 (female) on Friday 13 November 2020. They appeared on Monday 16 November 2020 in the Bishop Lavis Magistrate’s Court on a charge of murder,” he said. 

“The case was remanded until 22 January 2021 for a formal bail application, they stay in custody. The state is opposing bail,” added Van Wyk.